David Cameron and Myanmar

British prime minister David Cameron has said that Britain remains committed to bring about “full human rights and true democracy” in Myanmar.
Cameron made this commitment in a statement sent to detained Burmese democratic leader Aung San Suu Kyi on her 65th birthday on June 19.
“Like my predecessor, I personally have long found your example deeply inspiring. I want to assure you that as Prime Minister, I will maintain a close interest in Burma. The British Government I lead will do all it can, both internationally, working through the United Nations, and bilaterally, to bring a brighter future for Burma and your people, in which they enjoy full human rights and true democracy,” the British prime minister said.
Assuring the Burmese leader and the people of British support, Cameron added: “My thoughts, and thoughts of so many people in Britain and across the world, will be with you and with the people of Burma.”
Taking a strong stand on the issue of liberty in the military-ruled country, the Prime Minister said he will do “everything” to achieve the goals set by the Burmese democratic leader. “I have never forgotten your own request: that we should use our liberty to help the Burmese people to obtain theirs. I promise we will do everything we can to achieve that,” he said.